Thursday night Jer and I went to the Riverview Theater to hear Neil Gaiman give a reading.
It was very good and fun. Neil read the poem "The Day The Saucers Came" and 2 short stories; "How To Talk To Girls At Parties" and "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire" from his latest collection entitled Fragile Things. All were very good (I liked the poem and the second story best) and he is an excellent reader. Very smooth...I actually thought he sounded like a higher pitched Alan Rickman. He knew how to stress and pause and pace his reading very well. He also provided differing tones and accents when the story required it.
I realized as we got to the theater I hadn't much of anything by Neil. The only thing I could name off-hand was his DC Comics Black Orchid mini-series...which I did like immensely.
I'm seriously thinking of getting the audio version of Fragile Things and playing it during the drives on my upcoming vacation.
After the reading and a very brief Q&A, the theater showed Neil's movie "MirrorMask" . That I found to be somewhat dull. Visually, the movie is great but the colors I found to be very blah...the story was nothing new and I thought the acting was a bit too low-key. I think I shifted in my seat quite a bit and yawned and probably irritated Jer, who did like the movie.
Overall, a very enjoyable evening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment