Friday, May 05, 2006

Troy 2 (That's What I Think When I Think About You)

This is what I remember:

He had jet-black hair with just a hint of silver threads here and there. It was so attractive.

He always wore 'Polo' cologne. It became my favorite.

We met at a house party on Valentine's Day. We knew someone in common and she introduced us. We joined a circle of people playing a drinking game. I think it used cards and if you got a certain card, you could make someone take a drink. We ended up making only each other take drinks.

I saw him in the hall at UMD near the Administration building a few days later. We stopped to chat and I think that sealed it for us becoming friends.

A few weeks later we spent our first night together. We were both invited to another house party (same girl) and we made arrangements for me to stay over at his apartment so that I could drink and not worry about driving back home (he lived within walking distance of the party). After we got back, I crashed on the couch and he went to bed in his room. I woke up and found him sitting on the arm of the couch at my feet. I asked him what he was doing or what was wrong. He said "Nothing" or something about not being able to sleep. We looked at each other and I think I said something like "Either you're getting on the couch with me or we're both going back to your bed." We went back to his bed and that was it. The next morning I was so happy I just wanted to sing...I couldn't stop smiling.

We talked every night and hung out on weekends after that. It seemed we were inseperable.

I was working at the hospital at the time in the afternoons and would stop by his place after my shift before I went home.

One weekend he went down to the Cities to see his family. As I was leaving school Friday afternoon I found a letter he left for me in my locker. I was giving tours for the university that day, so I raced through the last tour so I could read the letter. I carried the letter with me the entire weekend...even while I washed the dishes at the hospital; even when I went out with friends Saturday night.

He wrote wonderful letters. Pages and pages of what he was thinking and doing. He had tiny penmanship, but it was very neat.

One week day we drove up to Thunder Bay, Ontario with two friends, Sandy and Sue. Just for the hell of it. Somebody had gotten a plastic-sticky toy (a 'Wacky Wall Walker') from their cereal that day...one of those kinds where you throw it at the wall or window and it "walks" down it due to its stickiness. Because we were in Canada, we spoke with really bad fake French accents and referred to the toy as "Le Wall-Walker Wackee".


One night we went out to see "Poltergeist II". He didn't want to go see it at first, but I talked him into it. He told me the next day he didn't sleep a wink--he never much cared for scary movies, he said. I felt bad and I wished I had stayed overnight with him.

For my birthday that year he gave me a one-pound bag of M&Ms and Joan Rivers' autobiography, Enter Talking.

The song I most associated with him was "If You Leave" by OMD.

I first met his parents and younger sister when they gave me a ride from Minneapolis to Duluth. I was coming back from a Doctor Who convention and they were coming up for his graduation.

I would occasionally tease him about his running like a girl. He would come right back and tease me about my being afraid of rollercoasters.


He moved back to the Cities after he graduated (he was a year ahead of me) and we saw each other a few times but then he broke up with me. We didn't talk for a couple years, but then he wrote me one of his fantastic letters and we reconciled.

We loosely dated after that and one time he asked me why I kept coming back to him after he would break up with me and why did he keep missing me? I told him there was some sort of unbreakable bond between us and wherever our lives took us, whether together or apart, that bond would always be there.

We hung out together now and then when I finally moved down to the Cities. We would spend a lot of time together and then lose touch for a bit then spend time together again. I always thought we would get in touch again soon.

I miss you.

No comments: