When a musical artist releases a new album, who determines what the single(s) will be? And on what criteria is/are said single(s) chosen?
This came to me as I learned which tune will be the second single off of Erasure's new album, "Nightbird". The song chosen, "Don't Say You Love Me", is not the one I would have chosen. While the song is good and fits in well on the album, to my ears it just isn't single material.
The first single was "Breathe", which I thought was an excellent choice (as well as an excellent song in the first place). It's very strong, is catchy, and has an eminently sing-a-longable chorus. Certainly it was strong enough to garner interest in the forthcoming album.
Now that the album is out, I'm sure Erasure and the record company (Sire) want to keep the interest going in the album, hence single #2. So why "DSYLM"? What is it about that particular tune over others from "Nightbird"?
Erasure doesn't get much (if any) radio airplay here (Minneapolis), but I think they get airtime in the clubs (I'm guessing, I'm not much of a dance-club attendee, but I have heard them the rare times I've gone). I suppose they get airtime in the big markets (NY, LA). I am unfamiliar with the radio and club playlists in the UK, but I would think being a British band, they get quite a bit of air.
Is it random or arbitrary? Is there a mathematical formula the suits using in their determination? It's a mystery, Charlie Brown.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment