Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Queer Cinema 4

Today I watched The Trip.  I've had this DVD for awhile now, but never got around to it until today.  I bought it, along with its soundtrack CD, off of eBay.
 
Wow.  What a great movie.  It follows the relationship between 2 men, Tommy and Alan.  What I thought was great about this story is that it followed the relationship for 11 years, not just one day or month.  I got to see how the relationship developed and the ups and downs they experienced along the way.  It is billed as a romantic comedy, and it is....yet there are also many dramatic moments as well. 
 
The story runs from 1973 to 1984 (with a epilogue of sorts in 1986).  It's set against (and within) events of modern gay history and is almost like a historical documentary.  I would show this to a young gay man and tell him..."This is what we were going through.  This is what happened."
 
The big name in the movie is Jill St. John, who I do know, but have to admit all I've ever seen her in has been her role as Tiffany Case in the Bond Diamonds Are Forever.  She is great in her small part.  In fact, her character's behavior and tone of voice reminded me so much of another teacher at my school (Kluz!).
 
The first two-thirds of the movie sets up the last third, which I felt was a little rushed.  The director/writer (one and the same) had a lot to say at the end...I felt he could have taken his time a little bit more.    There was quite a bit of adventure in this last act...indeed, I felt echoes of Thelma & Louise and The Living End (one of my all-time favorites).  It could have used a couple more moments of tenderness or intimacy between Tommy and Alan rather than adventure, but then...that might have taken something away from the heartbreaking climax.  Yes, the waterworks were close to pouring.  Where's the Kleenex?  The epilogue is a nice touch and give one a sense of hope, in a way.
 
Unlike Grief (see entry Queer Cinema 3), this movie looks very professional.  Also has a great soundtrack behind it that sets the mood for the scenes perfectly.  The DVD box proclaims it as a big winner/favorite from various Independent and Gay/Lesbian Film Festivals.  I'd never seen it before until I saw it advertised on TLA.  I wonder if it ever played at the Film Festival here or at the Lagoon.
 
After I watched it, I had the urge to watch it again (I didn't though).  I felt very reflective all day after viewing...as if Tommy and Alan were telling me to get off my butt and do something, something for our (my!) community,  that would make myself proud.
 
I don't know what adventures I could have....but I know that the greatest adventure is falling in love.


No comments: