Thursday, December 28, 2006

Should I / Shan't I?

The literary magazine Rosebud is sponsoring a writing (creative non-fiction) contest and I am mulling whether to enter. I do not have much time left to decide as the postmark deadline is 31 December (today is the 28th).

The piece I would enter is California, Here I Come, the prose poem I wrote about my move to Monterey. I picked this one because I think it's creative and it's non-fiction and I like it a lot. I probably do have other, better pieces but this is the first work I thought of when I discovered the contest.

Two problems:

1--I've been looking at the poem trying to figure out what, if anything, to revise before entering it. I've corrected some minor word issues and I need to make a final punctuation pass. There are some notes from M and Mrs. M written on it but I can't decide what to about some passages in question. I keep going over and over the same parts until I'm cross-eyed.

2--I asked M his opinion of writing contests: "I hate writing contests. The judges can't be objective; they're always going to be biased to their own preferences." That kind of sucked some air out of it. While he was not unsupportive, he was not 100% enthusiastic.

The plan right now is to find some quiet time tomorrow and just sit down and focus on it. Come Saturday morning I will head to the post office and send it off...or not.

No comments: