Lamb, Fluke, and Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore
Lamb was by far the best of the three. Very witty and creative. I laughed at least once on every page. Fluke was okay, an interesting idea and kind of weird in a sci-fi kind of way. Island wasn't as funny as Lamb, but was better than Fluke. Moore is very original and has got an active imagination! I'm anxious to read some of his other books.
Mockingbird by Charles J. Shields
A biography of Harper Lee. How do you write about such a private person? She's not a recluse like Salinger, but damn close. Fascinating, but not quite as in-depth as I'd hoped...but then, the subject matter is such a private woman. Still, a great read and the section about her time as Capote's assistant during the Clutter murder trial is absorbing. I have this book shelved next to To Kill A Mockingbird (my #1 book).
America's Boy by Wade Rouse
Another great entry in the memoirs I have been reading lately. A tragi-comic look at family, loss, coming out, and eating. If I ever get serious about my writing, this is how I would like to write. Or at least be able to create something like this.
Waking by Matthew Sanford
Honestly, I only picked this book up because Sanford is also a Greyhound alumnus and he was doing an author speak at the bookstore I work at. It's pretty good--for the most part. I liked the sections about his accident and rehabilitation; but I skimmed much of the mind-body connection stuff he went on about. Also, I started to read a "holier-than-thou" attitude on his part in between the lines towards the end of the book. Still the part about the birth of his twins is very powerful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment