Sunday, October 10, 2004

Weekend Miscellaneous

Friday. Took the day off. Very nice to have some weekday time to myself. Did some laundry and a bit of reading. Later in the morning took the car to the Body Shop. They estimated $1284 to fix the dents and scratches from Tuesday's hit. Sigh. Called the woman who hit me and told her the news. "I ain't even got a thousand dollars," was her first response. She repeated it several times. I could hear a baby crying in the background and knew what was coming next. "I'm a single mother." Of course she is.

To her credit, she did offer a sort of payment plan. $50 a month. I don't think so. I got very frustrated and downright irritated, I didn't know how to respond. So I gave her my number and told her I would contact her Monday with what I wanted to do. My first thought, once I hung up and finally calmed down, was to have her fork over $200 (to cover rental car expenses while my car was being fixed) and let it go. Then I thought, no. She hit my car, she has no insurance, she must take responsibility for her actions. Decided to mull other options.

To make sure the day off was not wasted, took in a matinee. Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow at Willow Creek. I really wanted to like this movie...it was just okay. The effects were amazing, but the story was kind of...boring, almost and the acting was a bit wooden. Both Gwyneth Paltrow and Jude Law seemed restrained. Giovanni Ribisi basically walked through his part, although Angelina Jolie (who wasn't in it for long) seemed to be the only one enjoying what she was doing. Sigh. I did like all the different robots...their designs were pretty cool.

Evening: didn't do much. Called Al and left a message. Read a little and watched a little tv. In bed by 10:30.

Saturday. Dad called first thing this morning. I had sent him an e-mail Friday detailing my adventures at the body shop and telephonic exchange with the woman who hit my car. His advice was to call my insurance and let them deal with the car and with her. Which is what I had decided by the time I went to bed Friday night. Yes, my insurance may go up some, but they should pay for repairs (most, if not all) and can deal with Little Miss "It Got Expired". After talking to Dad, called State Farm and filed my claim. Now will wait to hear as events develop.

Went off in search of a lap-table. None to be found in this part of the Cities. Argh. Denied every place I checked. Consoled myself with some ice cream from Cold Stone. Yum.

Finished Doctor Who novel Synthespians by Craig Hinton. Pretty good, found myself liking it quite a bit. Haven't read anything from Hinton in some time, so it was nice to read and enjoy this. Also had one of my favorite Doctor/Companion combinations (6th and Peri).

Arranged to meet Jas at the Eagle at 10pm, so spent the afternoon just doing whatever. Read, did some correcting, took out the garbage.

Al called about 8:00, said he was meeting friends at 10:30, but could come over to my place first. I should have said no. He came over...was a quick visit. I could tell he was in a hurry. Disappointing.

Didn't feel like going out after he left, so bailed on Jas (did call him first, though). My turn to be a jerk. He said it was okay, he didn't mind. Actually did some school work; just updated grades and recorded some new scores. Grabbed some grub and watched Doctor Who--Pyramids of Mars. Pretty good. Was going to start on Earthshock, but just watched the DVD extras instead of any actual episodes. In bed by midnight.

Sunday. Planned out a few days for school and did some laundry. Whee. Watched Earthshock. Jas called and we decided to see an afternoon movie. Just lazed around until time to meet Jas in Uptown.

We caught Shaun Of The Dead at the Lagoon. Very good--pretty funny and a bit gross in some spots. Liked it much, much better than 28 Days Later. Although did think they could have played up Shaun's dim-wittedness just a bit more. Still, it was a good 'un. Grabbed a bite at Davanni's after.

Home again and just watching the tube. Read the paper, made lunch for tomorrow, set the vcr for Monday's Jeopardy! Hope Ken's run ends soon. Probably sack out early tonight.

No comments: