So occasionally I receive a flier from a matchmaking/dating service in the mail (always addressed to "Resident"). It's usually from an outfit called Great Expectations (or something close to that). When in an impish mood, I like to call up the local branch and have the following exchange with the receptionist:
Receptionist: (Extremely perky) Hi! Thanks for calling Great Expectations. How can I help you?
Me: Hello, I got your flier in the mail.
Recep: (Still perky) Great!
Me: I have a question. Do you match up same sex couples or just heterosexual couples?
Recep: (Not perky. In fact, somewhat confused as if she had NEVER EVER considered the idea that there are people out there in the world that aren't looking for an opposite gender mate, but a same gender mate.) (Big pause) Oh. No, I'm sorry, we only match heterosexual couples.
Me: (Slightly snotty/superior tone) That's too bad. You're missing out on a big market. (Hang up) (Spend the next five minutes giggling at my own cleverness and feel smug--striking a blow for the little gay guy!)
Well, earlier this week I received another flier. This time from some group called Together. I thought about calling them up and doing the "routine", but I was too tired out from the school day to do anything, so I put it off.
The flier has been sitting on the kitchen table waiting for me to do something with it. I do want to do something, but the phone call just doesn't seem enough any more. I thought about filling out the "Confidential Screening Profile Form", sending it off, then waiting for the follow-up letter (or phone call) and seeing how far I can take it before I spring the Orientation Trap on them. But that whole plan smacks of effort and spending $$ on stamps.
My second option is to call up, as usual, but as the receptionist answers my question, to then head in a discussion as to why they "discriminate and isn't that illegal" direction. But I am unsure of my debate skills, should it come to that.
A third option would be to copy the flier and pass it out to my GSA kids and let them go to town with it. But I think a couple (well, okay, one) of them might get out of hand without supervision.
I really don't want to get nasty about the whole situation, but I don't want to be too nice about it either. I'm pretty sure gay matchmaking/dating services don't flood U.S. mailboxes with their junk (are there even such organizations?) and what really pisses me off is the total lack of realization of groups like Great Expectations and Together that there are other people than heterosexuals out there. Or maybe it's their total assumption that everyone who receives their mailings is straight".
The whole situation just makes me mad. And sometimes makes me feel sad, too...here I am, a single man, and these groups treat me and other gay singles as if we are invisible or unworthy.
I'm basically a good guy. I shouldn't let dumb groups like this get to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment