Friday, August 27, 2004

Bigfoot Tie-In / Brian

When I was younger, one of my favorite book series was the The Three Investigators mysteries. Of course, one of my favorites in the series is #20, The Mystery of Monster Mountain (1973). Our intrepid heroes go on summer vacation in the Sierras in northern California and find mysterious goings-ons at a ski-lodge. Including a mysterious creature in the woods.

What I like about it is that the book's version of the Bigfoot myth is played pretty straight and almost completely in the background--it keeps some of the mystery. The creature is never named as a Sasquatch and is, in fact, some kind of creature. It does not turn out to be a bear or a guy in a rubber suit. At the end, the Investigators themselves are not really sure what they saw.

******
Some thoughts on Brian (see previous post: Bigfoot)

I do not remember how Brian and I met. To me, he was always just part of the Austin routine. Go to see Grandma & Grandpa, play with Brian.

In 1977 or 1978, Brian and his family moved away. To somewhere in eastern Wisconsin, I think. I have never seen him since. Every once in awhile I think about him and wonder where his life took him and what he is up to these days. I wonder if he ever thinks about me or if he even remembers me.

No comments: