Saturday, November 21, 2009

An Extra 10 Minutes In Hell For Me...

So, as Steef and family dropped me off at the airport this morning, I chose to check-in for my flight via the outside sidewalk kiosk. At the head of the line was an older woman, a married couple, and then myself. A woman with a faint Jamaican accent (or some such) soon joined in behind me.

The older woman was having some difficulty with the kiosk's computer screen and the agent stepped around to assist her. I couldn't see exactly what was wrong, but a computer glitch of a sort was apparent.

Without warning, the agent suddenly left and hurried into the airport terminal. The woman turned to the couple and apologized profusely, but couldn't seem to explain what was wrong. She did seem a little concerned that the agent took off with her credit card in her (the agent's) possession.

At this point, the woman behind me started to fret and wander back & forth and in & out of the line; wondering (aloud) what was going on. My patience, I have to admit, was starting to wear a little thin as well.

Shortly (although it didn't seem like it), the agent returned and she resumed helping the older woman. At this point the "Jamaican" woman decided she would "help" the situation by interrupting the agent and ask for assistance herself. The agent merely turned to her and asked her to wait her turn. The woman started out with "I know, but I just..." The agent said again (with forced patience), "Yes, ma'am. Please wait your turn."

Ms. Jamaica opened her mouth and at this point I muttered, "Oh, just wait your turn." Alas, my mutter was louder than I had intended and she heard me. She stopped in mid-whatever she was about to say, put her hand on her hip, and shifted her weight to one leg (in my experience, a tactic used by people who know they are in the wrong but are about to make you pay for it).

Before she could launch into whatever excuse her pea-sized brain had drummed up to rationalize her attempt to speed things up by actually slowing them down, I cut her off at the pass. My own patience having snapped by this point.

"Oh just wait your turn ...and leave me alone!" I added the last part as although I had no trouble being rude myself, I was in no mood to prolong this agony. I kept my head down, checked my bag and was off to lose myself in the line for the security checkpoint leading to the gates.

On a tangential note, I'd really like to see a report, with numbers, detailing how many hijacks my taking off my shoes and belt, removing my jacket, and taking out all my change has prevented.

2 comments:

Steef said...

Bravo! I say it's about time you learned to use your mouth instead of always being such a Mr. Goody Two-Shoes.

Jeff said...

I don't know - I'd watch out because I don't think Miss Cleo likes back talkers!