Monday, October 23, 2006

NaNoWriMo

Well, it's all official, I'm doing NaNo this year. I'm getting psyched...and now maybe a little fearful I may get overwhelmed with it all. How dumb is that? I've outlined my first 2 chapters and tonight worked out sketches of some of the major characters. Still....will I be able to keep it going? I really really really want to succeed at this. I may be putting too much pressure on myself.

I've been reluctant to tell anyone my story idea. Don't know why, guess I don't want anyone to tell me it's dumb or that I can't do it. When asked, I just say it's a zany romantic comedy action/adventure kind of thing. Covers most of the bases, doesn't it?

My story idea is one that has actually been percolating in my noodle for a long time. I've always wanted to take a favorite movie of mine and put a "gay' twist on it. I've always loved this story, and at some point during my coming out I guess I just wanted to see 2 men in the lead roles/relationship rather than a man and a woman. I don't want to make a mere copy of the movie with genders and relationships just switched...I want to keep to the basic storyline but put my own touch on it. I want to make it my own. I am writing this just for me, so I suppose I can write whatever the hell I want.

"Write something you would want to read." That was the advice from the NaNo workshop. I can get behind that.

The title is Where Were You? . This line comes from the chorus of one of my favorite Erasure (of course) songs. I should say 'provisional' title...I'm still not sure about it. I think it does kind of fit the story. My other choice is I Found You There, which is actually a line from the theme song to the movie. I guess we'll see what I settle on as November rolls along.

No comments: