Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Stonewall

While in Alaska I finished the book Stonewall (2004) by David Carter. Once I got into it, I found it utterly fascinating. I thought I knew all there was to know about the Stonewall Riots....whoops, was I wrong. The books does a nice job setting up the scene and describing the players of this historical event before the nights in question. That's right, nights. I thought the rebellion was just 2 nights....it was almost an entire week of riots!

The book also takes a look at some of the myths that sprang up about the riots and either debunks them or confirms them. It's funny, though, the riots took place 35 years ago and still few people are entirely sure how events occurred...and that includes some participants! I suppose--who knew history was unfolding? Nobody had cell phones, digital cameras, any kind of recording media that is so prevalent these days.

After I finished the book, I started thinking...What if?

What if like Dr Who I had a way to travel back in time and be there? How cool would that be? Of course, I would bring a camera (at the very least!)! But then I got to thinking, would I get involved?

We all know the old sci-fi law that if you interact any way with history, it could change the future (our present). But what if? What would I do if I could go back and interact? Would I stand by--just watch as the riots exploded? Or would I join in? Throw rocks at the police, join a kick-line with the queens, shout slogans & pump my fist? I suppose it is one of those situations where you don't know what you are going to do until you do it. I think I can safely say that there is no way I would be able to just stand by and watch.

Just imagine. How fantastic to be able to be part of history.

No comments: